Saturday 8 March 2014

Brush Cleaning Day

Hi everyone,

I used to always want to know how to clean makeup brushes when I first got my expensive brushes so I looked into it all over the internet. There weren't that many good websites/blog posts so I thought i'd show you my way of how I like to clean my brushes just incase you're looking too!


I decided not to invest in brush cleaner because 1. It's expensive and 2. I found some posts which said that it wasn't as good as baby shampoo. Baby shampoo is literally so cheap, I got it from a pound shop for something like 96p and it gives your brushes a really good deep clean.



I get a bit of the shampoo on my hand and dampen the ends of the brush. Then in circle motions work the brush into the baby shampoo until you think its clean (this will only take like 30-40 seconds.) To get rid of the dirty excess shampoo on your brush and hand, rinse it lightly under slighty warm water, (don't get the bottom end of the brush wet because the water will run down and unstick the glue which will then result in your brissles falling out!!). Once you've rinsed it add a small amount of the shampoo onto the tip of your brush and using circular motion gently rub the brush onto kitchen towel, (I would receommend kitchen towel rather than toilet paper because it's thicker and the toilet paper will break apart). When there is no colour coming off onto the kitchen towel your brush is clean. Make sure you leave your brushes laying flat or hanging upside down with the brissles of the brush facing downwards, otherwise the water will run into the glue and your brush will fall apart.
Once all my brushes have been cleaned, I make sure the brissles are back in the direction they should be because they will dry into that place, I place them onto kitchen towel and put them on a window cill facing sunlight or on/near a radiator. They will take a good few hours to dry so I would recommend cleaning them before bed so they are dry for when you want to use them the next day.


So my top tips are:
1. Use baby shampoo instead of brush cleaner because it's cheaper and gives a deeper clean
2. Clean your brushes using circular motions
3. Make sure you put the brissels back into their right direction before drying
4. Lay your brushes flat or upside down to dry

If you have any other tips or questions for cleaning brushes let me know in the comments below and i'll be sure to try them and try to answer your questions:) Also I am no expert so this might not be right, but it's just a way I find gives my brushes a good deep clean.
I clean my brushes once every 2-3 weeks because I only use them on me and not other people, and because it is a deep clean, they don't need to be cleaned every week (well I don't think so anyway haha)

Thanks for reading:)

Love Kieren x

6 comments:

  1. Such a good post, exactly what I was looking for, thanks Kieren! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my exact way of cleaning makeup brushes..baby shampoo all the way whoop whoop, Maddie xx
    www.makeupfoodie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I nominated you for the Libester Award!
    The questions are over on my blog, feel free to do it if you want to!

    Kiri xxxx
    kirismusings.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete